#header h1 { font-family: bebas, duke, futura, bebas neue, verdana; } -->

15/06/2010

POSTING TO PENITENTARIES

So I wrote to George Jung, one of the big American drug lords of the 70s. Basically, there wasn't much thought behind the idea- I pretty much watched the Johnny Depp biopic of his life, "Blow", a few times, and decided to write, using the address on his fan Myspace (apparently maximum security, life sentenced guys have access to Myspace- who knew?).
I sent photo's of Los Angeles (a place he apparently treasured) and wrote, "everyone deserves a beautiful view", something that I still hold to be true. However since posting this touching letter to the now 70-ish year old criminal, I have been made aware of a few things.
1) The Johnny Depp version of his life was definately rose tinted- in reality, he is probably an asshole of a man, deserving every day of his life long sentence.
2) He is not Johnny Depp. Subconsciously, I think I may have written the letter thinking I was writing to Mr Depp. A stunning, rich, Hollywood actor. To be honest I probably could have over looked his hardened crim status if he was, in fact Mr Depp, or if he looked anything like him, as men like that need to be on the street, to be lusted after.
3) If he writes back I have no idea what to do- starting a pen friend situation with a lifer isn't exactly ideal. I wasn't exactly looking for conversation.
- MORAL- don't write to crims unless it's your mum/ dad/ brother/ grand parent or your just in need of some lovin' from behind bars.

No comments:

Post a Comment